April 07, 2004

What's Your Favorite News Aggregator?

Here's an experiment: It's an open-ended, down-and-dirty survey: If you're using a news aggregator, whether it's PC- or web-based, I'd love to hear about it. I'm not looking for statistical significance, but rather, an indication as to what we're really using. I'm currently writing an article about news aggregators, and I'm curious to see which ones are most popular in the legal market and generally elsewhere as this cuts across all markets really.

If you would be so kind, please take a moment to add a quick comment on this post with the aggregator you use most often. This way we can all see the results in real time. If you'd like to include a link to the service or program, even better. And if the mood strikes you, I'm sure it would be helpful to include a few reasons why you prefer it over others. There are many new aggregators popping up all over the place, and I thought it would be interesting to see what people are really using, what you really like. I appreciate your time, and I think this would provide some very useful feedback for everyone. Thanks!

Topic(s):   Blogging Tips  |  Web Wizardry
Posted by Jeff Beard
Comments

I like my.yahoo.com because it integrates well with my yahoo account, shows only headlines by default and encourages me to visit the actual weblog pages where I can read the full text and drop an insigtful comment or two.

Posted by: Seun Osewa at April 21, 2004 10:36 AM

Bloglines--I tried some of the other, PC based, aggregators, but they were not nearly as intuitive as Bloglines. Also, Bloglines allows me to "jump" more easily from weblog to any sites linked therein and back to Bloglines, etc.

BTW, did I mention that Bloglines is free?

Posted by: Stuart Levine at April 11, 2004 12:17 PM

Bloglines...in addition to other features mentioned on prior rocks,

1. the ability to save posts and search them later is invaluable.
2. it is nice to be able to e-mail posts to others with a mouse click or two
3. easily constructed / destroyed e-mail addresses are very useful.

Just a very nice thin client application. Only negative thought: do you really want your blog-reading habits on someone else's database. Sure hope it ain't an Ashcroft trap.

Posted by: Barry Bayer at April 11, 2004 08:58 AM

I'm using FeedDemon now. I'm still learning it, but so far it seems better than the alternatives I've tested.

NewsGator caused my installation of Outlook to become unstable.

The aggregator included in Radio had some good features and is excellent if you are using Radio as your blog platform, but it wasn't powerful enough as a stand-alone product.

AmphetaDesk also suffered from a lack of power.

I've experimented only a little with Bloglines. The convenience of an online aggregator is attractive, but I'm skeptical that any will have the power and speed that I would like. I'm not finished evaluating it yet.

Posted by: Jerry Lawson at April 11, 2004 06:45 AM

Wow - thanks everyone for providing such great feedback. It was both fun and interesting to see what we're all using.

Fred: By the way, FeedDemon's license allows you to install it on two different PCs with the following condition:

From http://www.bradsoft.com/support/faq/faqitem.asp?id=90

"If I buy FeedDemon, can I install it on more than one computer?

Yes. FeedDemon's license permits installing it on multiple computers, provided that you're the only user."

Posted by: Jeff Beard at April 10, 2004 07:58 PM

I use NetNewsWire on my Mac and I'm trying FeedDemon on my Windows machine and like it a lot (especially the Newspaper view), but I'm interested in SharpReader based on what Rick has told me about it.

Posted by: Ernie at April 8, 2004 10:07 AM

Have tried several, found I hated email intergation with a vengance, so have gone for web based. Have now settled on Bloglines. Free, easy, and well laid out.

Posted by: Scott at April 8, 2004 07:52 AM

I use FeedDemon at home -- it's my favorite of all that I've tried so far. When I'm on the road, Bloglines is a terrific web-based alternative. It was simple to upload all my feeds so I can read them when I'm out of town.

Posted by: Tom Mighell at April 8, 2004 06:04 AM

Radio UserLand is my favorite, as you might have guessed, primarily because I can post news items directly into my blog.

Posted by: Scott Young at April 8, 2004 01:02 AM

I use Jyte for Windows & Linux. It's free and keeps all my feed subscriptions on the server so I can access it from any machine. It's also based on search technology - I can follow the buzz on my favorite topics without having to check so many feeds.

Posted by: sarah gilbert at April 8, 2004 12:32 AM

I use Bloglines (http://www.bloglines.com). It's free, easy, with good features.

I prefer Web-based tool because (1) I can use it from any PC and (2) it's once less piece of software I need to run (and I have 512 meg ram).

Posted by: Ron Friedmann at April 7, 2004 10:50 PM

I'm using intraVnews. It's free and works with Outlook.

Posted by: Richard Schafer at April 7, 2004 08:57 PM

My Aggregator:
FeedDemon (http://www.bradsoft.com)

Reasons:
- Good interface
- Feed auto-discovery
- Attentive developer (evolves his product by conversing with users via his discussion boards)

Posted by: Andrew Davis at April 7, 2004 08:55 PM

NetNewWire on my PowerBook G4.

Posted by: Hondo at April 7, 2004 07:35 PM

NewsCrawler available at www.newzcrawler.com

Why - I like the auto detection of RSS and Atom feeds. Adding new material is a breeze.

Posted by: Ann M. Byrne at April 7, 2004 06:44 PM

feed on feeds - server-side aggregator - highly imperfect interface, but works from all the computers I use. Details at http://minutillo.com/steve/feedonfeeds/ .

Posted by: Michael Froomkin at April 7, 2004 06:30 PM

I'd recommend RSS Reader Panel for Mozilla/Firefox - http://fls.moo.jp/moz/rssreader.html. Lightweight, free, integrates with Firefox greatly.

Posted by: Dimo at April 7, 2004 04:38 PM

Newsgator - Was the most stable early integrator with Outlook, which I like.

Posted by: Rob at April 7, 2004 04:15 PM

Note - I tried to link to SharpReader but it looks like you're stripping HTML in the comments. SharpReader is at:

--Rick

Posted by: Rick Klau at April 7, 2004 03:53 PM

I'm using SharpReader. SharpReader is Windows only, based on .NET. Best feature: threading of posts. If one of your posts includes a link in your post, and any of my other feeds mentions that same link, SharpReader will thread all posts together. So when there are conversations going on in the Blogosphere, I get to see all posts on that topic.

Note - this is another reason to include full feeds (and not just excerpts); threading is impossible if you "hide" the content of your post on your site and don't expose it in RSS.

--Rick

Posted by: Rick Klau at April 7, 2004 03:52 PM

Home PC: FeedDemon (my favorite)
Laptop: FireFox .8/Bloomba - I'm testing these out before I take the plunge to pay for a second version of FeedDemon.
Work: FeedReader